Patchogue, NY – The Sage Colleges' women's tennis team travelled to St. Joseph's College (LI) for a Skyline Conference match on Saturday afternoon. The Gators collected a 5-4 win over the Golden Eagles to improve to 7-4 overall and 2-2 in the Skyline Conference. St. Joe's College drops to 4-3 overall and 1-1 in the league.
At No. 1 singles, Sage's junior Kirsten Ackerman (Rensselear, NY/Guilderland) beat freshman Nancy Marroquin, 6-0, 6-1. The win puts Ackerman at 13-2 this season in singles play. The decisive match of the day came at No. 4 singles as junior Katie Schultz (Wynantskill, NY/Averill Park) posted a 6-3, 6-4 over Rita Whrli in a match that lasted well over one hour and decided the fate of the match.
Sage's junior Lauren Bendall (Rome, NY/Rome Free Academy) was a double winner for the Gators with a win at No. 5 singles and at No. 2 doubles with her partner, freshman Erin Duffy (Castleton, NY/Maple Hill).
At No. 1 doubles, St. Joe's Marroquin and Katie Soeder posted a win over Ackerman and senior Nicole Riley (Catskill, NY/Catskill), 8-4.
The Gators are back in action on October 10 for a 6 p.m. match at Bard College.
Tennis Match Results The Sage Colleges vs St. Joseph's-LI Oct 05, 2013 at Patchogue, NY
The Sage Colleges 5, St. Joseph's-LI 4
1. Ackerman, Kirsten (SAGEWOM) def. Marroquin, Nancy (SJC-W-13) 6-0, 6-1
2. Soeder, Katie (SJC-W-13) def. Riley, Nicole (SAGEWOM) 6-2, 6-0
3. McGrath, Kelley (SJC-W-13) def. Duffy, Erin (SAGEWOM) 7-5, 6-2
4. Schultz, Katie (SAGEWOM) def. Wehrli, Rita (SJC-W-13) 6-3, 6-4
5. Bendall, Lauren (SAGEWOM) def. Verdone, Krysta (SJC-W-13) 6-1, 6-2
6. Mendoza, Shanessa (SAGEWOM) def. Timms, Courtney (SJC-W-13) 6-4, 6-4
1. Marroquin, Nancy/Soeder, Katie (SJC-W-13) def. Ackerman, Kirsten/Riley, Nicole (SAGEWOM) 8-4
2. Duffy, Erin/Bendall, Lauren (SAGEWOM) def. McGrath, Kelley/Verdone, Krysta (SJC-W-13) 8-5
3. Wehrli, Rita/Hasselberg, Erika (SJC-W-13) def. Mendoza, Shanessa/Fowler, Dana (SAGEWOM) 8-2
Match Notes: The Sage Colleges 7-4, 2-2 Skyline St. Joseph's-LI 4-3, 1-1 Skyline T-3:40 A-10