Chicopee, MA – The Sage Colleges' women's tennis team travelled to Bay Path College for the team's 2013 opener and came away with a 6-3 victory. Sage stands at 1-0, while Bay Path drops to 0-1.
Sage's junior Kirsten Ackerman (Rensselear, NY/Guilderland) was a double winner as she opened her second season with a 6-0, 6-0 win over Bay Path's Symone Watson. Ackerman is now 14-0 lifetime at Sage in dual match play and 15-1 overall in singles as a Gator after garnering Skyline Conference Women's Tennis Player of the Year honors last fall. She teamed at No. 1 doubles with senior Nicole Riley (Catskill, NY/Catskill) for an 8-2 win over Bay Path's Watson and Stephanie Morin.
Riley, who last played for the Gators as a freshman during the 2010 season, opened the year with a win at No. 2 singles, besting Morin, 6-1, 6-3.
- Sage's Kirsten Ackerman def. Symone Watson, 6-0, 6-0
- Sage's Nicole Riley def. Stephanie Morin, 6-1, 6-3
- BP's Brittany Walsh def. Mary Kate Hayward, 6-0, 6-1
- Sage's Erin Duffy def. Teanna Montoya, 6-0, 6-3
- Sage's Katie Schultz def. Taylor Wood, 6-2, 6-2
- Sage's Lauren Bendall def. Abigail Janneke, 6-3, 6-2
- S's Ackerman and Riley def. Watson and Morin, 8-2
- BP's Montoya and Janneke def. Hayward and Shanessa Mendoza, 8-3
- BP's Walsh and Wood def. Dana Fowler and Jessica Houbre, 8-1
Sage returns to action on September 3 travelling to Hartwick College for a non-conference match commencing at 4 p.m.