Rutland, VT – The Sage Colleges' men's tennis team travelled to Vermont to face the Eagles of Green Mountain College in a non-conference men's tennis match on Sunday. Green Mountain College bounced back from a tough defeat the day before to score a 7-2 victory over The Sage Colleges in non-conference men's tennis action on Sunday at the Vermont Sport and Fitness Club. With the win, the Eagles improved to 4-2, while the loss leaves the Gators still looking for their first win of the season at 0-4.
Green Mountain started off the match with a clean sweep of the doubles action. Connor Braden and Truman Cressey scored an 8-0 victory over the Sage pairing of rookie Nelson Jimenez (Manhattan, NY/Urban Assembly Green Careers) and graduate performer Katie Schultz (Wynantskill, NY/Averill Park) in top-flight doubles. That result was matched in number two doubles by Grey McCampbell and partner Andrew Woodman who defeated sophomore Lindsay Tolman (Little Falls, NY/Little Falls) and junior Shanessa Mendoza (North Plainfield, NJ/North Plainfield).
GMC's Eric Wade and Thomas Grunow scored an 8-1 win in third flight doubles over rookie Emily Schultz (Wynantskill, NY/Averill Park) and partner rookie David Sexton (Jackson Heights, NY/Sewanhaka) to complete the sweep.
Braden continued the Eagles' success in top-flight singles with a pair of 6-0 set wins over Jimenez. Cressey and McCampbell were also victorious in their singles matches to run the Eagles advantage to 6-0. Cressey upended K. Schultz in number two singles in straight sets 6-1, 6-3, while McCampbell took down Tolman in third flight singles, 6-0 and 6-0.
Mendoza ended the Eagles' streak and put Sage on the board with a 6-2, 6-0 victory in number four singles action over Woodman. E. Schultz made it two victories as she outlasted Wade who was forced to retire from the match after being down in the first set in fifth flight singles.
Grunow made it two straight wins to open his career as he posted a pair of 6-1 set victories over Sexton in the final matchup.
Sage's next match will take place on April 6 at Hartwick College at 4 p.m.
Tennis Match Results The Sage Colleges vs Green Mountain College
Apr 03, 2016 at Rutland, VT (Vermont Sport and Fitness Club)
Green Mountain College 7, The Sage Colleges 2
1. Connor Braden (GMC) def. Jimenez, Nelson (SAGE) 6-0, 6-0
2. Truman Cressey (GMC) def. Schultz, Katie (SAGE) 6-1, 6-3
3. Grey McCampbell (GMC) def. Tolman, Lindsey (SAGE) 6-0, 6-0
4. Mendoza, Shanessa (SAGE) def. Andrew Woodman (GMC) 6-2, 6-0
5. Schultz, Emily (SAGE) def. Eric Wade (GMC) 4-3, retired
6. Thomas Grunow (GMC) def. Sexton, T. David (SAGE) 6-1, 6-1
1. Connor Braden/Truman Cressey (GMC) def. Jimenez, Nelson/Schultz, Katie (SAGE) 8-0
2. Grey McCampbell/Andrew Woodman (GMC) def. Tolman, Lindsey/Mendoza, Shanessa (SAGE) 8-0
3. Eric Wade/Thomas Grunow (GMC) def. Schultz, Emily/Sexton, T. David (SAGE) 8-1
The Sage Colleges 0-4
Green Mountain College 4-2