Sage Women’s Outdoor Track & Field History
Program start: 2014
Coaches: Jim Bowles (2014-2017), Zachary Williams (2018), David Taranto (2019 to present)
- First program event win and ECAC qualifier in 2015 (program’s second season)
- Honored by US Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association as a D3 Scholar Team of the Year (2015)
- Sage breaks 10 records during 2016 season
- 2018 team takes seventh place at first Empire 8 Championship after breaking numerous records over the course of the meet and the season
- Sagan Leggett named Empire 8 Women’s Track and Field Athlete of the Week, April 23, 2018.
- Skylar Van Alstyne and Kerry Flower become the first two Sage student-athletes to compete at the 2019 All-Atlantic Region Track and Field Conference.
- Van Alstyne earned Empire 8 Track performer of the Week on April 29, 2019.
- Kerry Flower earns two Empire 8 Track performers of Week (March 25, 2019, April 8, 2019).
- Skylar Van Alstyne sets 3 school records in first season on the team in 2019, (Shot Put, 11.06m on 5/16/19 at AATFCC), the discus (29.09m on 4/20/19 at UAlbany Invitational), and the javelin (30.78m on 4/27/19 at Capital District).
- Sage's women's team takes eighth place at 2019 Empire 8 Track Championship.
Kerry Flower: Sage’s 2018-2019 Female Rookie of the Year. First Sage runner to earn an invitation to the 2019 All-Atlantic Regional Track and Field Championship. At the Meet, she ran in the 10,000 meter run and finished in 15th place with her time of 40:15.68. The race wraps her stellar rookie season that saw her break several school records while earning Empire 8 All-Star status in the fall in cross country and earn team Gator of the Year honors in track and field. After her first season, she set school records in the 1,500 meter run (5:09.88 on 4/27/19 at Capital District Championship at RPI), the 5,000 meter run (19:02.96 on 3/23/19 at Wesleyan University Classic), the 10,000 meter run (38:43.00 on 4/6/19 at Smith College Invitational).
Helen Putriment: first competitor in program’s history to win an event at a meet (2015 high jump); Division III ECAC qualifier (2015); Women’s Track and Field Gator of the Year (2015); Sage Co-Female Athlete of the Year (2014-15);
Nyasia Irby: Breaks 3 individual records in 2016 (100, 200 and 400 meter runs), while also competing on 2 relay record teams;
Sabrena Smith: Sets records in 2016 in the 400 intermediate hurdles and 3,000 meter steeplechase;
Madeline Herring: Breaks records in the discus and pole vault in 2016.
Sage’s Women’s Track and Field All-Time Empire 8 Award Winners
Skylar VanAlstyne, Empire 8 Women’s Track and Field Sportswomen Team
Sagan Leggett, Empire 8 Women’s Track and Field Sportswomen Team